Thursday, October 09, 2014

Introduction

Hello!

My name is Sachiko Ishikawa and I shall be your entertainer!
But first of all, an introduction. 

Who is this person?
I am 26-year-old young woman, half-Japanese and half-German, born in Singapore and raised in Spain. I speak English, Spanish, Catalan (rumor has it) and some Japanese (well, I've got the N1 certificate, but sadly that proves nothing). I do make tons of mistakes in Japanese, and my business e-mails have to be checked one by one (which I imagine annoys my superiors). No, I cannot speak German. 

I majored in Translation and Interpreting, worked as a Japanese teacher, an English teacher, a translator, and interpreter, a writer... (while you're at it, please check out my books!) and now I ended up in a Japanese company in Tokyo! And boy, do I have stories to tell about this country!

As a side note, I started my other blog (whose name has changed practically every year, and I can't keep track!) in 2008, and sadly I haven't had time to update it since May. 

Why is she starting a new one instead of continuing her old one?
(Good one!)
The thing is I am mostly stuck at the office, so I thought the best time to update would be whenever I had a couple of minutes without any particular task to attend to. And, in relation to that, my keyboard at the office lacks important letters and characters that Spanish uses, and I'd rather stab myself with a spoon than writing poor Spanish. 

And what am I even writing about?
Well, that would be... as self-centered as it sounds, about me. But hey, how many bloggers are out there telling their own life stories, right? Plus, I thought it might be fun to explain how it feels to be a half-Japanese, not born nor raised here, living in Tokyo and working in a company. There are many things I have noticed as a "foreigner" that I just need to share with the rest of the world.
With any luck, anything I write might help someone else in the future. Or at least provide you with some laughter ('cause I'm ridiculous like that).

2 comments:

  1. Sachiko!!!
    This is Carlos your Japanese student!
    I'm so glad I found this blog. It is definitely going to my favouites list.
    I was really happy to hear that you got the dream job. You must be travelling quite a lot, which is something we all hope you share.
    It's somehow weird to be writing to you in English. We never used this language when speaking.
    This year I have Hiro as a teacher and he is great. I'm really surprised to check how much I learnt last year with you. The vocabulary is still running around my aging brain and the grammar just needs a little more practice but I can manage to 'communicate' mostly in Japanese and that is because of your excel.lent classes.
    It's good to know that you have a new great job but it is also a pity to know that we have lost a fantastic teacher.
    I hope I can continue reading news from your blog and you'd better writing a new book as well because I'm eager to read more from you!
    Attach loads of photos!!!

    Best regards,

    Carlos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, thank you! :D Wow, your comment makes me so happy! Please send my best regards to Hiro-san, he's a great teacher :D
      Let me know if I can help with your homework ;)
      Keep in touch!

      Delete